Friday, May 8, 2009

Call me Coco... Everybody does

This movie was extremely confusing because although I was warned that the story wasn't linear there was no clue from the film until more than halfway through. I kept waiting for the final scene that would nicely wrap up the whole movie and was, sadly, left wanting. I enjoyed the story more once the readings cleared up the time line for me... dreams are really confusing even when a master story teller is the one explaining. I think I felt more inclined toward Diane/Betty because I have dreams that are crazy and sometimes seem better than real life and whenever I wake up I always feel disoriented and wanting more than I have. Thankfully I have never tried to kill myself when I woke up. 
The entire movie had sexual overtones and tension between Betty and Rita... well I guess that was explained at the end. I felt justified about thinking Betty was hitting on Rita at the end of the movie. When I first started noticing the sexual tension my reaction was SERIOUSLY how pathetic to put in lesbian overtones, especially ones so blatantly obvious. What I want to know is if the story could have gone the same way if instead of two women it was a man and a woman. 
And what about the characters playing two characters? Like Camilla and the blond at the dinner party? Was this a knock on the hollywood narcissistic  attitude? Love yourself first others second?

Other than the inconclusive ending I really enjoyed this movie despite my misgivings on the blatant use of sexual overtones

1 comment:

  1. Can I just say what a relief to find someone who actually knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You definitely know how to bring an issue to light and make it important. More people need to read this and understand this side of the story. I cant believe youre not more popular because you definitely have the gift. obat kanker darah

    ReplyDelete