Monday, March 9, 2009

She's asking for it

I know that Ms Hammond is free to dress how she will, and considering what girls today wear, she was dressing conservatively, but when I see her throwing herself on a man she KNOWS is married, I say she is a tramp. Then when she stops in the stairwell to fix her garters, I thought she is asking for it...then you see the student watching her and you know she is about to get attacked. I know no woman is asking to be raped, but the thought still flashed through my mind "she's asking for it" (plus she was asking for it, just not from the student...a little consensual nookie with Mr. Dadier would have been great). Makes you think, should Ms Hammond have been dressing more conservatively (say in nun's robes?) she knew how she looked, and was even warned by another teacher, yet she still wore provocative clothing. This issue is still around today, with the strictures of Muslim women's clothing. The question remain, how far do women have to go to curtail the male attention? I know that I make harsh remarks about the girls walking around in skirts that don't even completely cover their asses, calling them sluts...that's probably  just be me being jealous since I could never pull off that look. But even Dadier's wife makes a comment about Ms Hammond provoking the boy who attacked her. Do you  think that the conservative clothes idea came about from jealous women who felt they were not attractive enough to keep their husbands at home? Victorian era dresses were so low cut sometimes that you could see the top of the aureoles, yet it was socially acceptable at the time, even when showing an ankle was not.  It is strange how sensibilities change throughout the ages.
I hated the fact that there was not one strong role model for women in Blackboard Jungle, the women were sluts, timid wives, nosy old neighbors or meek and dowdy teachers. I felt that this movie was meant for the guys to watch, because the women were supposed to be at home taking care of the wash. Was the social scare mainly centered around the male youth? 

I noticed several posters throughout the movie depicting the Marines. I thought it was interesting that when Dadier is talking to West about reform school and the military they are standing in front of one of the Marine posters.

I enjoyed this movie the first time I saw it and I am glad I got the chance to watch it a second time because I wasn't solely focused on the plot, I was able to take in smaller details which enriched the film for me (mostly made me laugh...) like when the guys are at the bar, Edwards keeps orders two more rounds of drinks after Dadier said he needed to get home, or the fact that Anne Dadier is so vapid at points, she has no initiative to ask her husband about the so called woman, instead she does the laundry and cooks dinner. 

5 comments:

  1. I'm a strong believer that the male species will be attracted to the female anatomy no matter what apparel she is wearing. That's not to say that they don't have particular likes but from what I've seen, some guys will go after a girl completely covered in garbage bags (and this can be found at themed parties. Pictures are on facebook).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don’t think that the social care was mainly centered on the male youth I just think that’s what this film focused on. It was a film about an all-boy’s inner city school, there’s not going to be a lot of girls around. However, I do agree, in that I was surprised at how stereotypical the women were presented. I do think though that this is simply just because of the times.
    I didn’t even notice the Marines posters in the film. That’s really interesting. I’ll have to go back and pay close attention to small details the next time I watch it. Do you think that these posters have more significance because of the time period of the film or the environment of the film?
    I think it’s funny that so many people hate Anne Dadier. I wasn’t really expecting it, but I guess from a female perspective she’s not a very positive or inspiring figure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose if a girl is walking around in a short skirt where she know men will be present, she is also asking for it?
    Ms. Hammond did not see the student watching her from below as she fixed her garters. Even if she did, there is still no way one can blame a woman for being attacked. That is unacceptable.
    I did not like that she was openly hitting on a married man but that does not in any way mean that she would deserve being sexually assaulted by anyone.
    That's just like in a rape trial when the defense tries to make the victim look like a tramp with loose morals, in order to excuse the reprehensible behavior of the perpetrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you truly believe that women who dress or act provocatively, or who flirt inappropriately deserve to be raped?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apparently I need to make a clarification, I did not mean under any circumstances that women who dress or act provocatively deserve to be raped. My stream of thought was that the idea of a woman's behavior being the cause of unwanted male attention was drummed into the women of the time (and times before) When I said that Ms. Hammond was asking for it I was doing a poor job relating the overpowering male idea that women need to show no sign of their sexuality in order to be considered morally upstanding citizens

    ReplyDelete